- 13 Jul 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
- Updated on 13 Jul 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
A great feature of Blackthorn Messaging is the ability to automate an outgoing message using a workflow rule. The following example will show you how to do this.
Workflow rules are used in conjunction with SMS Templates. The template is how the body of the message is determined. The object of the workflow rule and the object of the template must be the same. For example, if you create a workflow rule associated with the Lead object then you must use a template that is also associated with the Lead object. Otherwise, the merge fields will not work correctly.
In this example we’ll look at automating a message to a Lead when the Lead Status is changed to “Qualified”.
Create a Workflow Rule
- Go to Setup > Create > Workflows & Approvals > Workflow Rules > New Rule.
- Select the Lead object and click Next.
- Complete the following fields:
- Name: Schedule Call with Qualified Lead
- Evaluate the Rule: Select created, and anytime it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria
- Filter: Lead Status equals Qualified
- Click Save & Next.
Add a Workflow Task
- Select New Task in the Immediate Workflow Actions section.
- Populate the task fields. This must be completed in a very specific way. We’ve listed down how the various field values affect the message.
- Assigned To: This can be any user. This has no effect on the message.
- Subject: The subject must start with the phrase Send SMS following which you can add any text to the subject.
- Due Date: This has no effect on the message, but we recommend choosing Rule Trigger Date plus 0 days.
- Status: This has no effect on the message, but we recommend choosing Completed so the task does not appear on the user’s open task list.
- Priority: This has no effect on the message, but we recommend choosing Normal.
- Comments: This must be the code associated with the template you are using for the message.
Note: You can find a template’s code by looking at the template record and copying the value in the Code field. Do NOT add anything else in the comments field other than the template code.
- Click Save.
Test the Workflow Rule
Let’s now try testing this particular workflow message.
- Find a Lead and add our mobile phone number into the
- Update the
Lead Statusto "Qualified".
You should receive an SMS message which contains the text of the template. You should also see a record of the SMS Message attached to the Lead, as well as the Task that was created by the workflow rule.