Avalara AvaTax can calculate tax using Salesforce for both subscription and one-time invoices, with either their Stripe Billing integration (subscriptions) or their AppExchange app (one-time invoices).
Stripe Billing invoices
When a subscription is created in Stripe, before the invoice is issued during the one-hour delay that Stripe enforces between subscription start and invoice sending, it's sent to Avalara to calculate applicable tax. Stripe then adds a new line item with the tax result from Avalara to the upcoming invoice.
The Avalara Salesforce app works by calculating tax on Opportunity line items (Opportunity Products). With Blackthorn Payments, you can create one-time invoices via a button click from Opportunities. After you add line items to the Opportunity and initiate the tax calculation with the Avalara app, a line item is added for the overall tax. This line item is then created on the resulting Sales Document from the invoice creation with our app. Note: Make sure to calculate the Avalara tax before creating your invoice with our app.
For both of the below, configuration steps within Avalara are needed, including setting up your products, jurisdictions, and tax codes, and aligning the Avalara products with either your Salesforce or Stripe products.
- Create all the products in Stripe.
- Sign up for avalara.
- Once you have signed up and set up your company profile. Install and Setup AvaTax.
- Jurisdictions for tax in Avalara.
- Create products in Avalara.
- Push the Stripe id of the product into Avalara. (Optional)
- Setup the connection in Avalara to connect to Stripe. (You may need to contact Avalara to do this).
- Setup the webhook URL to push the product/subscription/invoice to Avalara.
- For calculating tax for one-off invoices, you will need to install the Salesforce AppExchange package Avalara AvaTax. This helps integrates Avalara with your Salesforce org.
- The opportunity record sends the data directly to Avalara and receives the tax information in Salesforce.
- The tax will be added as a line item on the opportunity.
- Using our "Create Invoice" button on the opportunity it will auto-generate an Invoice/Sales document and it will be sent to the customer for payment.
Updated about a month ago