- 13 Jul 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
- Updated on 13 Jul 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
A subscription schedule allows you to create and manage the lifecycle of a subscription by pre-defining expected changes. These changes can include updates to the subscription’s prices that are scheduled to automatically occur in the future.
In order to use Subscription Schedules customers need to make sure they are using Stripe API version 2020-08-27 and not a previous version before upgrading to Payments v5.1 and beyond.
Upgrade Your Org to Use Subscription Schedules
After upgrading to the latest Payments package that includes Subscription Schedules you'll notice that the Subscription object now includes two record types: Subscription and Subscription Schedule Phase. In order to use these record types properly you'll need to follow the steps below.
- Navigate to Blackthorn | Payments Admin → Click Stripe Billing → Click Assign Subscription Record type button → This will update all existing subscriptions to the new ‘Subscription’ record type.
- Navigate to Blackthorn | Payments Admin → Click Stripe Billing → Click Deploy Stripe Billing → This will add Subscription Schedule Phase Layout to the Subscription Schedule Phase Record Type and assign the two Subscription record types to profiles.
Customers installing Blackthorn Payments for the first time will notice the new object for Subscription Schedule and 2 new record types for Subscription once installation is complete.
Create a Subscription Schedule
Make sure you have upgraded to Payments v5.1 or higher.
Currently, customers will not be able to create or update Subscription Schedules from the Stripe dashboard and push to Salesforce. In order to create and update Subscription Schedules the customer will need to kick off the request in Salesforce and push to Stripe.
- Navigate to the Subscription Schedule object and click 'New' to create a new record.
Note: You will notice that the same fields available on the Subscription object are here as well.
- Add a value in the Customer field.
Note: This is the only required field.
- Click 'Save'.
A Subscription Schedule Phase is one of the record types related to the Subscription object. Previously, the Subscription object only had one record type. Now it will have two: Subscription and Subscription Schedule Phase.
Create the Subscription Schedule Phase
- Navigate to the related list on Subscription Schedule and click ‘New’ for the Subscription Schedule Phase.
- Select the Subscription Schedule Phase Record Type.
Priceif there is only one price for this Subscription. If there are multiple Stripe Prices, you should use Subscription Line Items.
- Select a
Iterationswith the number associated with this phase. Is this the first iteration or the second, third, and so on.
- Select a date for the
Date Endedfield. This will signify the end of this Subscription Schedule Phase.
- You can add additional detail using the other fields on this record, but they are not required.
- Save your record.
Add Subscription Items
You only need to do this if you have more than one Stripe Price.
- Navigate to the Related List on the Subscription Schedule Phase you just created.
- Click ‘New’ on the related list item for Subscription Line Item.
- Add values to the
- Click ‘Save’.